Friday, May 30, 2008

"Mommy, how do you catch…


CHICKEN POX?"

“What?” “You know, that rashy thing that itches that covers your body.”

Turns out that one of Nora’s kindergarten classmates was sent home (picked up by her mother) near the end of the school day yesterday. Nora announced to me that she hugged her goodbye yesterday, as she “was really sad” that the poor little girl would be missing the last day of school. And, if she hugged her, she REALLY hugged her. Nora loves everyone and hugs people long and hard on a very consistent basis.

Flabbergasted. That’s what I was, upon hearing the words.

So, after throwing Nora in the shower, following my panic while ripping her clothes off of her and boiling them in the “hot cycle,” I called the school.

Indeed, the girl has Chicken Pox, as does her three-year old sister, according to her mother whom I also called promptly.

The teacher indicated that no one knew. Um, I suppose that I do not know how that is possible.

Nora has been vaccinated once at a year old, booster at five; Elliot has had one shot and Isaac…well, he’s not old enough.

Germ-a-phobic freak that I am, I continued to scour the sheets. She may have been exposed yesterday, the day before, who the hell knows. She slept in the bed; she sat on the couch; heck, she touched all of the door knobs. Yes, I know how it is spread. And yes, I went overboard, but I cannot imagine taking care of a 22-month old with Down syndrome and a 9-month old (who screams all of the time anyway) with CHICKEN POX.

And really, I thought that the disease was wiped out years ago. Not totally eradicated, but who hears about it anymore?

Needless to say, I pray that my little missy stays “itchy, dreadful rash free.” And, I pray that the bumps stay the heck away from the boys if indeed she comes down with it.

What a way to start the summer, huh? I just have to laugh, for if I don’t, I will start my cleaning frenzy again, and those who know me know just how long that will take.

11 comments:

Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

Yikes! I would have scoured everything too! I hope dear Nora and your two little men stay spot free. That would not make for a fun summer beginning!!

Amy Flege said...

that plain sucks!!! hopefully nothing will come of it! I do know many people that are vaccinated but still get a small case of them! Mayson got three spots when she got the shot! I will be praying for NO pox!!!!

Stephanie said...

Hoping no pox for you. I have an immunity to them, but Aiden has still had the shot for them.

Pam said...

Eeek!!! I would be cleaning like crazy too!!

You totally need a break.

((HUGS)) my dear friend!!

Pam and Rhett

Michelle said...

oh no! I hope the kids can avoid it!

Kari said...

Oh Crap. Hope no-one gets them. Chanelle had them at 5 and Tristan had them at 3 months old. I think I was more upset then him.

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Oh no!! Praying hard they don't get them!!!

mom2noah said...

Oh my, I hope everyone is Chix Pox free. You crack me up! I probably would do the same thing. Everytime Noah gets sick, I run around sterilizing everything like it's gonna make him better! I love the picture of the 3 of you.

Christina said...

MAN! I am praying they don't get it!

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

She probably won't get it since she was vaccinated, and if she does, it would probably be a mild case of it. I would definately be worried that if she does get it that she passes it on to the other 2 since they are so young.

Hope you can look back at this and Thank God that none of them got it!

JennyH said...

Oh no! hope nobody gets the dreaded chicken pox. I am with you- you never hear of anyone gets them anymore!

Your kids are all so adorable. Nora's eyes are so pretty. You look like your a very busy momma!