Saturday, November 1, 2008

I got a job.

A what?

That’s right. A part-time sales job. I will start Monday (with a week of training) to sell the Clinique brand of cosmetics at our local VonMaur. Clinique is said to be “the global leader in allergy-tested, fragrance-free, dermatologist-approved cosmetic applications to skin care and makeup.” Okay.

I do love the product, though, and have used it since I was a teen with troubled skin. My dermatologist recommended it to hide my acne. What’s interesting is that all of the women who will sell alongside me are in their early 20s, and if you don’t know, I’m 38.

I went through three interviews. Yep. For a part-time make-up person. An hour with the HR gal, an hour with the store's general manager, and an hour on the phone with Clinique corporate.

I popped in the store today, a quick 6-block jaunt from our home, to buy some black dress clothing (all sales reps for the brand must wear all black: skirts (appropriate length – of course), HOSE – ick, and closed-toe shoes, preferably heels. I really don’t think my standard attire of clogs and jeans will work, hence I bought some “stuff.”

I approached the Clinique counter to take a peek at the rest of the sales staff. I introduced myself to a nice young lady and indicated that I would be starting with the store on Monday. She said, “Oh, you must be selling fragrance.” I chuckled to myself because all of the fragrance women are at least 50.

I said, “No, I’ll be working with YOU right HERE.” Tee hee. Her boss, the cosmetic sales manager for all lines, approached, and introduced herself. “You must be Michelle.” “I’m happy to have someone with your public relations experience…bla…bla…you’ll make a wonderful addition here.” I laughed again. I don’t think of myself as a professional anymore. I am a mom, and a mom who has three kids, one of whom has special needs. That is my “job.” And, I do still do a bit of consulting, primarily with medical practices and currently with a dermatologist. That, by the way, will help. But, it was refreshing, I must say, to have someone refer to me as a professional. We’ll see.

I have also been accepted into a wonderful nursing program. I paid my $100 deposit, but I have put school on hold for a year. Elliot is still too medically fragile, and I simply cannot devote that many hours to school right now. So, cosmetic sales it will be. Oh, and I get a white “lab” coat. That will have to be close enough for now. I’ll post a photo soon, so you call all laugh at me – or with me!

9 comments:

Kari said...

Congratulations on the job :)

Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

Congratulations on your job and school! You are one amazing woman!! I wish you were closer so you could give me some tips - I love clinque!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats and good luck. I am sure you will be the top salesperson there. After all, who can say no to you? ;)

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

Congratulations! I've never used Clinique myself, but if I lived near you I would definitly drop by! We are getting a Von Maur here, but I had never heard of it. I'll have to go check it out.

Mia said...

Congrats on your new job! I've been a "Clinique-aholic" for at least a decade now. Won't use any other products because I just get disappointed.

Stephanie said...

congratulations on the job..

I started a business.

All 4 My Gals said...

You'll be great! Too funny about the fragrance comment. I'll take her down. LOL

Amy Flege said...

oh you know von maur is my favorite store, girl!! congrats~!

Carey said...

Ahhh, how did I miss this? I've been "away" for a while, then I lost my blog roll ... I'll get caught up though! So does this mean we're in competition now?! ;) Playing dress up is my least favorite part of Mary Kay also! If I could just wear my yoga pants and a tshirt, I'd be good!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great ... and your "experience" will come in handy over those young (inexperienced) girls. I kind of like being "experienced" ...