Friday, February 13, 2009

A difference of opinion…

Elliot and I spent the majority of Nora’s birthday evening at the hospital. Our pediatrician whom interpreted Elliot’s previous blood work results noted that there was NO major cause for concern, indicating merely to repeat liver enzyme labs in a month. Children’s Hospital staff begged to differ. They ordered an immediate abdominal ultrasound. They ordered a:

Liver Panel
AntiSmooth Muscle Antibody
Infectious Hepatitis Panel
GGT
Alpha Fetoprotein
Too many anti-antibodies to list
And many, many others…

For those of you who have followed the blog for a bit, you know that Elliot’s liver enzymes were elevated in June and subsequently came down in September of last year. You know that there was never a cause determined for said elevation. You know that they looked for all Hepatitis infections. They looked for mono – they looked for a lot. They found nothing.

What they did not look for was autoimmune Hepatitis, cancer, and many other horrible things. Radiology will interpret results this a.m. The blood work will be back in a few days. In the meantime, I do need to stay away from the Internet. I’m libel to drive myself over a cliff…

I merely wonder why our pediatrician, whom has treated Elliot for a good 30 months, thinks nothing of a second elevation. Why she did not want to look for portal hypertension with an ultrasound. Why I asked for all of the above mentioned and she told me that I was nuts. Then, the next day, Children’s Hospital orders EVERYTHING, and I mean everything, that I asked our pediatrician to order. And I was to get it done pronto! I think that I missed my calling.

I will post some photos of Nora’s party later. Although I missed dinner, as did Elliot, I made everyone wait at home to open gifts until Elliot and I returned. I wanted to see the look on our precious daughter’s face when she received her American Girl stuff that I so carefully picked out. At least the day ended on a good note. I hope today does as well. Updates following the calls from the docs…the docs whom all claim to be so superior.


7 comments:

Stephanie said...

I hate the waiting game, I really do.

Will they call with the results either way?

Carey said...

Yay! So I'm hoping you get some answers today. That's so nice that they ordered all of the tests for you. And I know Nora understands ... the siblngs are strong too ... they have to be!

Happy Birthday Nora!

Michelle said...

I'm praying you finally get answers. One of the peds in our practice we go to has the same attitude that you are describing. As mommies, our instincts can be so strong and right on. Kudos to you for not giving up! Michelle - you are an awesome mother. I'll check back later today. and I hear you about the internet. It's hard to stay away......

HUGS!!

Unknown said...

Sending up prayers for our dear Elliot and for his mommy! I hope you can get some answers!

Unknown said...

Geez, I really hope you get answers today! I'm thinking and praying for you guys! HUGS!!

Lisa said...

Michelle,

I am so sorry all you are going through.... I know not knowing can be the scariest part of all. Good thing is that they ordered all the tests. I pray you get great news and it is just merely nothing at all....

Hugs!

Lisa

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Wow I hope everything comes back okay!