Thursday, October 2, 2008

31 for 21 (#1) And his middle name is James.


Get It Down; 31 for 21

October is National Down Syndrome Awareness Month. Of course, I do my very best to advocate for those graced with the blessed extra chromosome on a daily basis, but this month is special.

I will post a daily blog about Elliot, our beautiful two-year old who sports an extra chromosome. Many, many of my friends are also doing so on behalf of their children and others that they know with Down syndrome.

And, darn it. I had the best of intensions to beginning this yesterday, but the day got away from me. So, perhaps I’ll just add a little something extra at the end!

Elliot’s middle name is James.

James after my saint of an obstetrician.

As many of you know, Down syndrome is usually identified at birth, but at present, we now know that Down syndrome will be identified earlier, thanks to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists’ latest recommendations.

Elliot’s diagnosis was “identified” at birth. Had my son been identified earlier, I would have been more conversant; however, I would not have terminated the pregnancy. Sadly, statistics show that over 90 percent of expecting parents will terminate upon medical identity. Statistics also indicate a large population of American families whose names reside on waiting lists to adopt a child with Down syndrome.

My obstetrician was the only physician to congratulate me upon Elliot’s arrival, albeit two months early. Elliot was born merely 25 months ago, without the foreknowledge of amniocentesis. My OB never pushed it. My OB never once questioned me when we decided together that I would not undergo an amniocentesis when I became pregnant a few months after Elliot arrived (with his now 12-month old brother, Isaac). My OB understands. My OB educates. My OB enlightens his patients about how a child with Down syndrome will forever enrich a family’s life. Other OBs need to meet my OB and follow his lead.

His name is James. And, I will forever be grateful to him for the gift that he helped me bring into the world. James is a good name, don't you think?

3 comments:

Rachel Dominguez said...

I think it's a wonderful name and Elliott is a wonderful boy and YOU are a wonderful mother!!!!!!!

Rachel

Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

It is a wonderful strong perfect name!!

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

Yep, a very good man. My OB also supported our decision to not have the blood tests. I was 35 when I had Peanut. I wish more doctors could learn about the person and not about the diagnosis.